Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Elbridge Gerry

What is your name? -
My name is Mr. Elbridge Gerry.

How old were u in 1787? -
During the year of 1787, I was 43 years old.

What is your personal history up to 1787? -
I was born on July 17, 1744 in Marblehead Massachusetts and I was one out of my parents 11 children. As a young child I was privately tutored up until my enrollment in Harvard College in 1758. After finally graduating, I returned home to get started in the family business of sailing and trading. The first step I ever really took against the British wasn't until the spring of 1770 when I served on a local committee to ban the selling and consumption of tea to the people. I was then lucky enough to be elected to the Massachusetts legislature in 1772.  Later on I was elected in to the second continental congress of Massachusetts in 1775, which would eventually lead to bigger things like becoming George Clinton's vice president in 1812 thanks to Madison.

What was your role in Constitutional convention? -
I was very proud to have been an active member and participant in the convention. Out of four Massachusetts's delegates chosen to go, I was one. Mine and my fellow federalists views were shared and stressed to amazing degrees in order to get as many people to realize that this would be the change and new hope America needed.

What stated views would explain your actions during the Constitutional Convention? (use quotations in your answers and cite sources) -
In 1787, I attended the Constitutional Convention, which I was said to have been, "one of the most active participants in the entire Convention." I was always ready to give my opinion, especially if it was about the great compromise, and I wanted others to understand why we thought we needed this document. www.senate.gov


What is your stance during the ratifying conventions?-
 I,being a proud supporter for the Constitution, had always believed that the ratification would be a glorious and extremely helpful thing, unfortunately, not everyone thought the same as I. My only worry was that complete anarchy would ensue.

Who supports your viewpoint? -
The other federalists who were completely for the Constitution shared my viewpoint in basically every aspect. We had come to an agreement that we wanted to be our own people. I will say that James Madison and I worked closely under the stress of the Constitution and he eventually got me vice presidency.

What are your views of this new plan of government? - I believe that this new form of government will prove to be a lot more beneficial that being under the constant and unfair rule of England. I did worry though, that it would fall through, I had my doubts, but was positive that all positive things would outweigh the negative eventually.

What are the benefits or dangers? (cite sources) - The benefits of having a new nation and Constitution are that we are now our own people and have our own unalienable rights. Power is distributed evenly so corruption is rare. Everyone is entitled to the pursuit of happiness. The dangers are that chaos could ensue and anarchy could take over. www.senate.gov

No comments:

Post a Comment